Friday, July 09, 2010

Carry On Baggage

We fly out tomorrow morning for our family vacation to Sisters, Oregon to visit with my family. I've been thinking about what I want/need to take in terms of books, journal, Bible, clothes, etc. But I'm also reflecting on what burdens I'm carrying with me, what my extra "baggage" is that needs to be left behind for me to enjoy and be present with my family as my true self. I was thinking of these verses (ESV):

Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 Peter 5:6-7
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

Matthew 11:25-30
At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

I wonder what the airlines would charge if they could charge us for emotional "carry-on baggage"? They might recoup all the last year's losses in about a week!

I am intending to leave behind the following burdens in the hands of my Abba:
- a need to be accepted and admired by my family
- a need to control the details of a big trip
- shame and fear that "who I am" is not enough
- the stick I use to beat myself up in self-hatred
- the orphan false-self that believes that I am forever alone and abandoned, on my own to make life work

By the grace of God, I will lay these things down on the security checkpoint at the foot of the cross.




Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: