Monday, July 26, 2010

Hidden Waters of Life

We were in Central Oregon recently visiting my family. Besides catching up on relationships, we were surrounded by what I call "epic geography," geography that exudes mystery, wonder and awe. Geography that comes along my soul and quietly but powerfully expands it, making more room for its Creator.

My parents live in Sisters, Oregon, which is part of the Deschutes National Forest, a high desert region filled with Ponderosa Pine that are hundreds of years old. One of the paradoxes of this desert wilderness is that water is plentiful. It seems that there are large aquifers (probably made by large lava tubes) filled with water that are readily available for irrigation and home use. Here is a map of Oregon Aquifers:


One of these underground springs comes up continually onto the surface forming the beautiful Metolius River:


As I reflected on this beautiful country with seemingly endless underground water, I couldn't help but see parallels to my spiritual journey with Christ. The surface shows signs of life, but life that has to fight to survive; plants must send roots down deep to draw from these large wells of water. Places where it gushes up to the surface teem with life and beauty.

My life with God in the last 7-8 years has been largely dry, lonely, dark and confusing. I have had to sink my roots deep into the life of God to survive (Eph 3). What life there is on the surface is of a most hearty kind, having grown through the harshness of high mountain winters and desert summers. Even though there really is an end to the underground water supply of Central Oregon, the living waters of God, flowing under the surface of my life are in reality endless. It is the kind of water Jesus spoke of, which flows from God into the life of humans submitted to him and "rooted" in Him. May we drink deeply today and forever. I do not rely on the performance of life at the surface for my comfort and encouragement. I rely on the never-ending waters of God.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: