Friday, December 05, 2014

Pledge of the Apprentice (Expanded)

Back in January, I posted a shorter version of this pledge (which is actually a prayer). Here is the longer version that has grown as I’ve prayed it. With a few exceptions, this pledge has ushered me into every day of 2014. It has kept me focused and moving in a good direction, and I hope it blesses you, too!


It seems especially relevant to me during this Advent season, to think of apprenticing myself to this Jesus lying in a manger. Learning from him begins with attending to the way he came. Each season of the Christian year gives us meditative access to an aspect of the life and activity of Jesus.


Below the official pledge are a few more affirmations that I work through on a daily basis.


Pledge of the Apprentice


By the grace of God, I apprentice myself to Jesus in order to live eternally now;


to become the kind of person, from the heart, who does what he did and says what he said in his confident, peaceful manner. I commit myself to learning this. He is the One who knows how to live, the Master and Maestro of all of life, the smartest and best person to ever have lived.


In warm response to his love, I intend to be with him, learning to be like him, living my life as he would live it if he were I. Through the Holy Spirit I intend to do the necessary and appropriate things (means of grace) for apprehending and opening to this new kind of life.


I do this for the sake of God and the good of my own soul and the good of those around me;


to work with Him and participate in Him, as he extends the loving rule and reign of His kingdom throughout my life into others’ lives.


I do not do this to earn or merit anything; rather, it is my simple but passionate cooperation in Trinitarian Life, Presence and Power.


Miscellaneous Related Affirmations


I will trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding, wisdom and resources; In all my ways I will acknowledge and submit to him, trusting in him to make my paths straight and life-giving. I will not be wise in my own eyes; forgive my arrogance, Lord!

I will fear the Lord and turn from evil, trusting him to meet every single one of my needs, to bring health to my body and nourishment to my bones (adaptation of Proverbs 3:5-8).


I let go of outcomes, large and small, as well as leaving in his hands everything that concerns me.


I let go of doing things in order to be seen by others; as best I can with Jesus’ help I will do all things with a simple and fond devotion to God.


I surrender to the goodness and love of God, the atmosphere of “Abba” that surrounds, saturates and satisfies me.


I stand with these particular feet in God’s unshakable kingdom, as a disciple in whom Jesus dwells and delights.



Resources:

Proverbs 3:5-8; Psalms 16 and 23; Matthew 5-7; John 13-17; Colossians 1:9-23; 3:1-21; Romans 5:1-4; 12:1-2


Brother Lawrence, Practice of the Presence of God


Dallas Willard Articles:

How Does the Disciple Live?

Living a Transformed Life Adequate to Our Calling

No comments: