Monday, April 29, 2013

Be Strong Today, My Soul

A thought from Catherine of Siena (1347-1380) that I found helpful today:

“Be strong today, my soul. Through the crucified Christ I can do everything, for he who comforts me dwells in me by desire and love.” Love, love, love!

[...] Have confidence! You shall find the source of charity in the side of the crucified Christ. I wish you to establish yourselves there and make a dwelling there for yourselves.

Rise up then with great and burning desire. Approach, enter and remain in this sweet dwelling.

No demon or any other creature can take this grace from you or hinder you from reaching your end, namely, that you should come to see and taste God.

I say no more. Abide in the holy and sweet love of God. Love, love one another.

Letter to the novices of the Order at Santa Maria de Monte Oliveto, from the Supplement to the Liturgy of the Hours for the Order of Preachers, feast of St Catherine of Siena, April 29th.

I am particularly fond of her call to find a home in the wounded side of Christ. This is an image that Julian of Norwich talks about and has been fermenting in my praying imagination for quite a while. I can abide in the love of God by abiding in the wounds of Jesus, where all my wounds are healed and all my sins are washed away. Holy and sweet indeed.

No comments: