Friday, June 21, 2013

Knit Together

After my unraveling earlier today (my wonderful meltdown) I wanted to post a few texts that the Lord continues to use to restore my soul, to put me back together again. Perhaps others will find strength and hope as well.

I love this metaphor of being “knit together,” especially in contrast to being unraveled. As the Lord interacts with all my broken pieces, He sovereignly and tenderly rebuilds my sense of self, using Himself and his grace as adhesive. What results is new creation. I literally am bound together, knit together with him, and the result is a new self that is “Christ in me, the hope of glory” (Col 1:27).

God made my life complete
when I placed all the pieces before him.
When I got my act together,
he gave me a fresh start.
Now I’m alert to God’s ways;
I don’t take God for granted.
Every day I review the ways he works;
I try not to miss a trick.
I feel put back together,
and I’m watching my step.
God rewrote the text of my life
when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes. (Ps 18:20-24 MSG)

I’ve been listening to Eugene Peterson’s lectures on David and “narrative spirituality.” He spends some time on the David and Abigail story (1 Samuel 25), parking on this phrase that Abigail speaks to David:

“If men rise up to pursue you and to seek your life, the life of my lord shall be bound in the bundle of the living in the care of the Lord your God. And the lives of your enemies he shall sling out as from the hollow of a sling.” (1 Sam 25:29 ESV)

Peterson himself translates it this way:

If anyone stands in your way,
if anyone tries to get you out of the way,
Know this: Your God-honored life is tightly bound
in the bundle of God-protected life;
But the lives of your enemies will be hurled aside
as a stone is thrown from a sling.
(MSG)

Going alongside the metaphor of being “knit together” with God, I embrace this reality of being kept in “the bundle of the living in the care of the Lord.”

He really is that good.

2 comments:

Amy Ems said...

Scott, Daniel and I have truly been encouraged by your honesty in your struggles today. We both have recently felt like major failures, and though the scriptures remind us to praise God because we are uniquely made-and this uniqueness allows for great personal struggles- they are so depressing to repeat.
Being reminded that we are actually tied to Christ, through his love, and his desire for us, absent from our own attempts, is so reassuring. Thank you for speaking His word so deeply into our hearts! Love, Amy Ems

Scott said...

Amy, great to hear from you!

I never know if any of this stuff resonates with people, and though I don't write it for that reason but "my own personal therapy" - LOL - it is always an added delight to hear of those I care about being encouraged.

Much peace and love to you and Daniel and your family.