Friday, May 18, 2012

Do You Like Your Smile?

I heard a story recently that has gripped my heart. A young girl (age 9) was talking to her Mommy about the possibility of needing braces, something that could be very troubling to a pre-adolescent. She said, “I don’t know if I want braces, Mama; I like my smile and Daddy says I have the most beautiful smile in the world.”

It’s beautiful to me that the words of her Daddy had penetrated her so deeply that she was re-interpreting the idea of having braces; What could have been a shame and anxiety producer (how will I look ???) was turned into a kind of self-confidence that can only come through being loved. The words of her Daddy carried great weight for good in her soul, to the glory of the God who made her and her smile.

I long to be penetrated that way by the love of God, my Father. I wish I could say, “I like who I am, because my Abba declares me good, beautiful and strong.”

I’ve been trapped in a deep cycle (well, deeper than normal) of self-hatred and depression for just over two weeks now; I just can’t seem to shake myself out of it. I hear the Lord’s whispers through this story though, that it’s possible for me to trust God in this way. At least that is his heart for me (and all his kids). May it be, Lord.

No comments: