Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Humility of Prayer

I’ve been dealing with a couple of lower back strains the past two weeks. This has caused me to reflect on what burdens I am carrying, as stress and anxiety have historically shown themselves to be big factors in my overall health.

As I try to pour out my heart to God, I was struck this morning by this verse:

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6-7 ESV).

What struck me (my "duh?” moment) was the link between humility and casting all our anxieties upon God. Of course, it makes sense that the humble person knows he or she cannot be independent of God! And the reverse is true too, that the proud choose not to share the load with God. I often attribute my lack of turning to God to my fear, my abandonment issues, my orphan false self, etc. I know now to also attribute it to my stinking arrogance.

Another reminder to return to the humility of childlikeness, as children know both how to be dependent and how to ask for things!

Jesus, help me.

No comments: