Thursday, September 10, 2009

Elect Exiles

After my poor teaching performance last night in our Recovery group (a new effort in my church to reach out to the brokenhearted among us - it's pretty exciting!) I need some strong grace reminders of who I am, and that who I am in Jesus is not touched by my performance.

I came across these verses this morning in my reading guide:

1 Peter 1:1-2, "To those who are elect exiles . . . according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood . . . " (ESV).

I too am an elect exile, chosen by God yet in a world not my home. My chosenness should be enough to help me make it home without having my identity in Christ shipwrecked. An elect exile is a chosen and cherished ragamuffin.

Other descriptors from this text that arm me for identity:
  • God the Father knows me and chooses me before anything was made; He lovingly, savingly knows me before I could do anything good or bad; I am Beloved and becoming Beloved.
  • God the Spirit sanctifies me, sets me apart for Him, in a lost and lonely world; I am holy and becoming holy.
  • God the Son calls me to obedience and sprinkles me with his healing blood for every disobedience. I am an apprentice to Jesus, learning to live life as he did: truly human, filled with God.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

maybe you should just be reminded that your teaching job wasn't poor in the first place, my friend. word on the street is that the recovery group is pretty awesome.